Dr. Janet H. Hsiao
BSc NTU, MSc SFU, PhD Edinburgh
Head & Associate Professor
Department of Psychology
University of Hong Kong
Office: Room 623, 6/F Jockey Club Tower, Centennial Campus
Phone: +852 3917 4874
Email: jhsiao at hku dot hk
Dr. Janet Hsiao is an associate professor in the Department of Psychology at the University of Hong Kong.
Before joining HKU, she was a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering and the
Temporal Dynamics of Learning Center (TDLC) at
the University of California, San Diego (UC San Diego) and worked with Prof. Gary Cottrell.
She received the Ph.D. degree in Informatics from the University of Edinburgh in 2006,
the M.Sc. degree in Computing Science from Simon Fraser University in 2002,
and the B.Sc. degree in Computer Science from National Taiwan University in 1999.
Research Interests [more]
Cognitive Science, Computational Modeling, Eye Movement analysis with Hidden Markov Models (EMHMM),
Visual Cognition, Learning, Perceptual Expertise, Face Recognition, Reading, Explainable AI.
University of Edinburgh, the United Kingdom
Ph.D., Informatics, 2006.
Simon Fraser University, Canada
M.Sc., Computing Science, 2002.
National Taiwan University, Taiwan
B.S., Computer Science & Information Engineering, 1999.
Positions and Employments
- Steering Committee Member, Institute of Data Science, University of Hong Kong, Aug 2022 - present
- Head, Department of Psychology, University of Hong Kong, Oct. 2020 - present
- Principal Investigator, The State Key Laboratory of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, University of Hong Kong, Sept. 2019 - present
- Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Hong Kong,
2015 - present.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Hong Kong,
2009 - 2014.
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, University of California, San Diego, 2005 - 2008.
Editorships and Services
- Editor-in-Chief, British Journal of Psychology, Nov. 2022 - now
- Governing Board Member, Cognitive Science Soceity, Aug 2022 - Aug 2028
- Section Editor, Cognition, June 2021 - now
- Associate Editor, Cognitive Science, July 2018 - Dec. 2022
- Academic Editor, PLOS ONE, Jan 2014 - Jan 2021
- Program Committee Member, Annual Meetings of Cognitive Science Society, 2016-now
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, the Cognitive Science Societiy, 2023
- Early Career Award, the Research Grant Council of Hong Kong, 2012
- Best Language Modeling Paper Prize, the Twenty Eighth Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, Vancouver, Canada, 2006.
- CCK Fellowships for Ph.D. Dissertations, Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange, Taiwan, 2005.
- 2nd prize, Informatics Jamboree poster competition, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2005.
- Overseas Research Student scholarship, British Council, UK, 2002-2005.
- Informatics studentship, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2002-2005.
- Graduate Fellowship, Simon Fraser University, Canada, 2001.
- Five Presidential Awards in succession (Top 5% in class), National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1996-1999.
- Scholarship from Rotary Club, Taiwan, 1996.
last update: Wednesday, 08-Feb-2023 08:20:51 China Standard Time